Friday, September 5, 2014

5 Plumbing Questions…Answered

Should I be concerned if my toilet is running?
Absolutely. This is a very common and annoying plumbing problem that can quickly cost you money. If the toilet continues to run after the toilet is flushed, it indicates that some part of the internal mechanism is broken. Often a little jiggling of the toilet handle solves the problem. Sometimes a simple part needs to be replaced. The worst case scenario is that the entire mechanism needs to be replaced. You can try to fix the problem on your own or call Jackson Total Service.

My faucets and shower heads have a white substance around the area where the water comes out. Is there anything I can do other than replace them?
This unsightly buildup is caused by mineral deposits. To remove them, pour a cup of vinegar into a plastic bag. Place the bag over the showerhead or faucets and hold it in place with a twist tie overnight. In the morning, remove the bag and gently scrub off the deposits with an old toothbrush.

My garbage disposal won’t run after it was jammed. Do I need a new one?
Not necessarily. Chances are, breaking down could be by fibrous food or hard object such as silverware. Please make sure the garbage disposal is TURNED OFF before removing any objects. If you don’t find anything that could have jammed the disposal, try to reset it with the reset button (usually located underneath the garbage disposal) or check your breaker switch in your breaker box. More often than not, this will do the trick. If not, the motor may be damaged and have to be replaced or repaired.

What happens if my water heater is leaking?
Leaking water heaters usually indicate the bottom of the tank has rusted. Keep in mind that there are very few repair options for this problem; you most likely need a new water heater.  You should call Jackson Total Service for a price on a new water heater.

What should I do in case of an emergency like water dripping from my ceiling?
Turn off your main water shut off valve to prevent the drip from turning into a flood. This valve is usually located near your water meter.   If there are any electrical appliances nearby, turn off the electricity off at the main breaker to prevent any possible electrocution or starting of fires. Once the water flow has stopped, call Jackson Total Service and we’ll send a plumbing technician to your home to diagnose the problem.

Jackson Total Service is an air conditioning, plumbing and electrical contractor in Naples, FL.  Contact us at (239) 643-0923 or on the web at